You know how it goes at Target: Come in for 3 things… Leave with a full cart. We can’t help with that, but we CAN make sure you save money while impulse shopping!
1. Know the layout
- When you first walk into the store definitely stop by “Bulleye’s Playground,” especially during major holidays.
- The best scores there are kids toys, learning activities, and home decor items all of it priced between $1 – $5. As you walk through the store go to the inner end-caps, you’ll find groups of clearanced items all together.
- Back in the day, all of Target’s clearance signs were in red, but now they’re yellow so look for the yellow signs!
2. Read the tags
- The secret to saving big is knowing how to read the clearance tag.
- In the upper right hand corner you’ll see a number which tells you what percent you’re getting off the item. The lower right hand corner tells you the original price.
- If the clearance tag ends in $.04 that’s its final markdown price, but if it ends in $.06 or $.08 it has a chance to be marked down even further so you can decide if you should scoop it up or wait till later.
3. Know the secrets
- You can price match at Target with Amazon, Babies R Us, Toys R Us at the customer service desk so use that to your advantage and if you buy something and it goes on sale within three weeks take it back and they’ll give you the sale price.
- You can save 5% if you have a Target Red Card, but even if you don’t have that definitely download the Target app. It tells you where all the sales are in the store and gives you additional savings.
4. Know the schedule
- The big baby sales are January and July so look for lots of cashback rebates.
- Target also has a weekly markdown schedule for their departments and this is so important because you know the day things go on sale so you can be the first one to see those clearance items. As you know they go so fast!!
- Shopping after holiday sales is also a great way to save. The day after the holiday Target marks everything down 50%, 3 days later 75%, and three weeks later is a 90% clearance! I have found some amazing scores.
5. What to buy and what not to buy
- Year round it’s always a safe bet to get clothes, shoes, cleaning supplies and basic grocery staples, but there’s a few things you should stay away from such as party supplies, furniture, and home decor.
- The best time you want to stock up is when they’re on clearance.
I hope this video helps you save a ton on your next Target run!