Apple butter. Honestly, I’d make this stuff just for the sake of how my kitchen smells when it’s cooking. But it also tastes so great slathered on top of toast. Put some in a mason jar, tie a ribbon on and you have a great hostess gift. Just sayin’.
- 6 apples (one green, the rest red)
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1-2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- Peel all but two apples (peeling the green one). Chop into ½ inch pieces at most.
- Place apples and remaining ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for about 7 hours. Stir every hour or so (does not have to be exact).
- When apples are a deep caramel color, you can leave rustic in texture or process until smooth in a food processor (my preferred way).
- Store in air-tight container in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Enjoy on toast, waffles, etc.
NOTE: For anyone without a slow cooker, you can try cooking it in a 250° oven for about 2 ½ – 3 hours. Or you can cook on VERY low heat on the stove, partially covered for about 1½ – 2 hours.