Sure, you can buy tortillas at the store but if you’ve ever tasted the homemade kind at a restaurant, you know how INCREDIBLE they are. They can take your average quesadilla or taco to a whole other level. So give this easy recipe a try. I was doubtful at first, but I am 100% hooked!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 cup very hot water
- In an electric mixer with a dough hook, add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix briefly.
- With the motor running, add the oil and hot water and mix on medium until coarse crumbs form. Then turn the motor on to medium-low and mix for another 1-2 minutes until dough is soft.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface. Cut into about 6-8 sections, cover with a kitchen towel and let rest.
- Flour rolling pin and roll out tortillas until circular and almost see-through.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat until very hot. Then reduce flame to low and cook tortilla on first side until it blisters. Flip and cook on second side for 30-45 more seconds.