The story behind this birthday breakfast cake has everything to do with why Avery requests it for breakfast on her birthday. I first made this when I was pregnant with her. I froze it and when I came home from the hospital after delivering Avery, I defrosted the cake. For the first week, when I was up at 2am, feeding my new baby, knowing that I could have a big slice of this coffee cake in the morning was the only thing that kept me from crying. Hey, hormones.
For the FILLING:
- 3/4 cup frozen raspberries, thawed
For the TOPPING:
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
For the CAKE:
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons softened butter, cut into pieces
1. Make topping. Add flour, brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon and salt to a food processor. With motor running, add cold butter a little at a time. Process until chunks start to form but don’t let the whole thing turn into a big ball. Turn out into a bowl and store in fridge until ready to use.
2. In a medium bowl, combine sour cream, egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Set aside.
3. In a stand mixer, add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With mixer on low, add softened butter and about 1/4 cup of sour cream mixture. Mix for about 20 seconds, then add half of remaining sour cream mixture. Mix another 20 seconds, then add remaining sour cream mixture and mix until just combined.
4. Set aside about 1/2 cup of batter. Turn remaining batter out into a 9 inch cake pan that you have buttered well. I like to dollop mine around the pan and then use a spatula to spread it.
5. Top batter with raspberries. Then use the remaining mixture to cover as many raspberries as you can. Top the cake with your crumb topping (I always have some leftover and I top pretty heavily).
6. Bake at 350 for about 35-45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
7. Enjoy once it’s cooled OR wrap tightly and store in your freezer for up to 2 months.