My friend Benita has been making this cake for her daughters for years. It’s always nice when your kids request something for dessert that doesn’t feel like it’s just sugar. There is a ton of flavor between the almond butter and cocoa and the zucchini adds moistness without the taste of veggies.
- 1 cup unsalted almond butter
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a small baking pan (not bigger than 8×8, but we used something about 5×8).
- Mix almond butter, honey, egg, vanilla.
- Add cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Stir.
- Add zucchini and stir to incorporate. The water from the zucchini will loosen the batter.
- Add half the chocolate chips and stir.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and top with chocolate chips.
- Bake for about 40 minutes for a small pan (less if you’re using a bigger pan as your cake will be less thick).