One of my mom’s favorite quotes is “Thank goodness for muffins, without which we would have eat cake for breakfast.” I live for this quote and these matcha muffins, which aren’t quite as evil as you think. But they are every bit as delicious as you’d suspect.
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Matcha
- Mix butter and sugar. Add egg, honey and milk and whisk to combine. Add almond extract if you want.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, matcha, baking powder and salt.
- Add dry ingredients a bit at at time to wet and mix.
- Line muffin tin and fill muffins about 2/3 full. Top with crumb topping if desired.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
For the TOPPING:
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- Make topping. Add flour, brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon and salt to a food processor. With motor running, add cold butter a little at a time. Process until chunks start to form but don’t let the whole thing turn into a big ball. Turn out into a bowl and store in fridge until ready to use.