I first had Carmelita Bars from Whole Foods when I was in graduate school. I bought them on accident the first time, but the next 50 times it was 100% intentional. They are so good, definitely a treat, but I promise you will be asked for this recipe every time you serve them. They make the perfect bake sale item!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups oatmeal (quick cook)
- 1 ½ cups light brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup cold, cubed butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped pecans (or other nut or omit)
- ¾ – 1 cup caramel sauce
- 2 TBSP flour
- In a food processor (or by hand), mix flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add in butter until mixture is clumpy.
- Butter a 9×13 pan. Spread half of the crumb mixture in bottom of pan and spread. I recommend wetting your clean fingers and using them to press the mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. While baking, combine caramel sauce with flour until mixed thoroughly.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle with chocolate chips, nuts, and caramel sauce mixture. Top with crumbs (breaking up large clumps as you go).
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Allow cooling before cutting into bars.