Growing up, we used to look forward to Corn Dogs at our town fair. They were fried and they were delicious. But a DIY corn dogs at home are easy, healthy, and a great kid-friendly dinner to serve up.
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour + 2 tablespoons
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ teaspoon stone ground mustard
- 6 TBSP cold butter, cut into cubes
- 6 TBSP milk (I often need to add a bit more if dough seems dry)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 6 hot dogs, cut in half
- In a food processor, add flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, mustard, milk. Turn your motor on and add butter a little at a time.
- Process until mixed and butter is completely cut into dough, then turn out onto a floured work surface (I like to use parchment or wax paper for easier cleanup and less sticking).
- Using a floured rolling pin, roll your dough out until about 1/8-1/4 inch thick. You don’t want it too thick.
- Cut a rectangle and place your hot dog in the center. Wrap hot dog and put stick into the flat end of the hot dog.
- Bake at 375° for about 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway through. Enjoy!