I haven’t met too many kids who don’t like mac and cheese. But if you’re kids are like mine, they’d take the boxed variety over the gourmet, bread crumb topped type any day of the week. Luckily version wins them over every time and it has a healthy twist to put your mom mind at ease.
- 12 oz pasta (I like shells or elbow)
- ¼ cup milk (plus more if your sauce is too thick)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 oz block cream cheese
- 2 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower
- 1 cup frozen butternut squash
- 1 tsp salt
- Steam veggies for 5-7 minutes until tender. In a blender, puree ¾ cup water and steam veggies until smooth.
- On the stove, combine pureed veggies, milk, cheddar cheese and cream cheese and simmer until smooth. Whisk if chunky.
- Cook pasta and then pour sauce over. Use extra milk to thin if necessary or if reheating to smooth sauce.