Ice cream cake is our family’s birthday tradition. It’s just so fun and obviously, so delicious. So instead of heading to Baskin Robbins this year, try whipping up one of your own. Feel free to mix up the ice cream flavors. It’s all about the crunch.
- 1 ½ quarts chocolate ice cream, softened
- 1 ½ quarts vanilla ice cream, softened
- 8 oz hot fudge sauce at room temperature
- 12 sandwich cookies, cut or smashed into pieces
- 8 oz heavy whipping cream
- 2-3 TBSP sifted powder sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup rainbow sprinkles
- If your ice cream isn’t softened, do so by letting it thaw in refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
- Spread chocolate ice cream in a pan. Put back into the freezer to harden for 30 minutes.
- Spread hot fudge. Sprinkles cookies and press down so cookies stick to hot fudge. Put back in the freezer for 20-30 minutes.
- Spread vanilla ice cream for next layer and put back in the freezer for at least 8 hours, preferably overnight.
- Take cake out of the freezer and let it sit at room temperature for 5 minutes while you make whipped cream.
- In an electric mixer, mix whipping cream on high. Add vanilla while the cream is still liquid and continue to beat. When it starts to change consistency, add powdered sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Remove cake from pan (run a knife along the edge and then open spring), and spread whipped cream on top and sides. If desired, pipe on decorations and add sprinkles.
TIP: Best to finish your cake the night before your party. Let it sit at room temperature for 5 minutes before slicing in and enjoying.HOT FUDGE SAUCE
Take 8 oz of semi-sweet chocolate chips and about 2 TBSPs heavy whipping cream (half & half works in a pinch) and place them in a double boiler or in a large bowl over some simmering water. Allow to melt while constantly stirring. You’ll have an easy, rich hot fudge sauce.