Growing up, I assumed Italian wedding soup was served at weddings in Italy. Ha! The “wedding” part of the name comes from the marriage in flavors of the greens and meat in the soup. Honestly, the flavors in this incredibly easy to make soup are everything you could hope for in a bowl.
- 1-2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 chopped carrots
- 6-8 cups chicken broth
- 1 package (or 6 cups) baby spinach, washed
- 1 package cooked pearl or Israeli couscous
- About 20 thawed party size meatballs
- Heat olive oil in pan. Sauté onions and carrots (add a little salt and pepper) until soft (about 8 minutes).
- Add meatballs and cook 2 minutes until the flavors begin to release.
- Add spinach and cook until it begins to wilt. Add chicken broth and cook about 15 minutes.
- Pour couscous (about ⅓ cup per bowl) into individual bowl and top with soup.
- Store couscous separately as it absorbs a lot of the liquid from the soup!