These sugar cookies took a lot of recipe testing. I had actually never made sugar cookies before and I knew I wanted to do something a little healthier than the average. So we tried out Einkorn Flour and just loved how the cookies came out.
- 10 TBSP unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup cane sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups Einkorn Flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- food coloring
- In an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar for about 2 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat until mixed.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- With mixer running, add flour mixture a little at a time until just incorporated.
- Turn dough out onto wax paper (or plastic wrap) and chill in refrigerator for at least 1 ½ hours.
- Remove dough and let sit for 2 minutes. Coat flat surface and rolling paper with powdered sugar then roll out dough to about ¼ inch in thickness. Cut with cookie cutters.
- Bake at 375° for 7-10 minutes until just golden.
- Let cool and decorate.
- 2 TBSP milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Add milk a little at a time (up to 2 TBSPs, usually I use 1.5) to 1 cup of powdered sugar and mix with a whisk. You want a sticky, runny consistency. Use food coloring to color.